[Bioperl-l] Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast and mpi-blast

Torsten Seemann torsten.seemann at infotech.monash.edu.au
Fri Nov 17 00:19:42 UTC 2006

Andrew,

>> Anyone have any opinions as to how easy/difficult it would be
>> to incorporate mpiblast into
>> Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast?  It runs essentially the
>> same way as blastall, and its output is nearly identical.

> I think plans were to rewrite StandAloneBlast and RemoteBlast to make them
> more 'generic' (i.e. capable of running other BLAST-related programs),
> though I'm not sure at what stage everything is.

Chris is correct is saying there were plans to rewrite the Blast modules
- at the time myself, Roger Hall, Chris? and Jason were involved, but
unfortunately Roger fell ill in Feb 2006 and had to have urgent heart
surgery. (And my wife had a baby :-)

Here's some of the early discussion:
http://portal.open-bio.org/pipermail/bioperl-l/2006-February/020745.html

ANYWAY, I think it might be possible to incorporate mpiblast easily,
even without changing Bioperl if we are lucky, via the ->executable()
setter method. If not, I added rpsblast support last year which is
similar to blastall, so it'd probably be achievable.

How does the the output of mpiblast differ to NCBI blastall ?
What command line options does mpiblast take?

--
Dr Torsten Seemann               http://www.vicbioinformatics.com
Victorian Bioinformatics Consortium, Monash University, Australia