[Bioperl-l] "progress": useful changes vs. "shiny new thingie"

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 16 18:41:56 UTC 2006

> Chris,
>
> So a package like bioperl-ext, normally requiring a C
> compiler and make/nmake, now no longer needs make/nmake? I
> don't recall this coming up in our discussions...
>
> Brian O.

The makefile setup for bioperl-ext is much more complex than for the others,
so I don't know how that would be handled using Module::Build.  I tried it
earlier on before the RCs on Mac OS X and it installed fine, but Inline
complained when running other tests so I tossed it.  I don't think it ever
worked under Windows using nmake, unless you're using CygWin/GNU make.

I believe the Build file must use make/nmake somehow, so there must be a way
to compile C code included with the distribution.  I just haven't had time
to invesitgate yet.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry