[Bioperl-l] "progress": useful changes vs. "shiny new thingie"

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Thu Nov 16 09:26:45 UTC 2006

Nathan S. Haigh wrote:
> I believe Sendu mentioned that a Makefile.PL would be included in the
>  CPAN package but is not in CVS as it would be generated from
> Build.PL for backward compatibility - is that right Sendu?

Yes.

> How does installing via CPAN affect this? Does it give higher
> priority to Build.PL over Makefile.PL and thus use Build.PL for the
> install?

I don't know about priorities (but assume it would prefer Build.PL),
but in any case, the generated Makefile.PL basically just calls
Build.PL, so it makes no difference.

> Build.PL helps all this by making is easier and quicker to make CPAN
> packages. It also means we have a while before the "stable" 1.6
> release to ensure it is working effectively - better than dropping it
> in on the 1.6 release isn't it? I think it's work the delay and an
> extra RC!

Yes, it surely needs to happen before 1.6. As suggested here and
originally in the other thread, 1.5.2 can be the transition release with
old Makefile.PL and Build.PL as well (set up to not overwrite Makefile.PL).