[Bioperl-l] "progress": useful changes vs. "shiny new thingie"

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 16 00:01:57 UTC 2006

Brian,

I think he means the actual releases or the 1.5.2 branch, not CVS.

Sendu, I am seeing a general consensus towards not using Module::Build just
now.  Lincoln, Aaron, and Brian all seem to want to wait; Hilmar and I also
had stated previously that this should probably wait until after 1.5.2
(which you seemed to agree with).  I think we are all for the idea of moving
forward, but it's a lot to impose just prior to a release (not to mention
Thanksgiving here!).

I think the old Makefile.PL is still in the 1.5.2 branch.  So maybe we
should stick with that for now (i.e. not change over to Module::Build on the
1.5.2 branch).  The install script fix that Brian committed to Makefile.PL
in CVS HEAD prior to removal could be merged to branch-1.5.2.

We could leave the Module::Build stuff in CVS for the next release to work
out the bugs.  I'm not sure whether we can have both Build.PL and
Makefile.PL in CVS HEAD, but I don't see why not.  Wouldn't 'perl Build.PL'
just overwrite the old Makefile.PL anyway?

chris

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry