[Bioperl-l] "progress": useful changes vs. "shiny new thingie"

aaron.j.mackey at gsk.com aaron.j.mackey at gsk.com
Wed Nov 15 18:29:30 UTC 2006

What actual needs prompted the change from ExtUtils::MakeMaker to
Module::Build?

It seems that the switch was made without a complete understanding of all
the bits and bobs in the existing Makefile.PL

For one, the Bio::DB::GFF Makefile.PL is independent (yet triggered by the
main Makefile.PL) such that users can choose whether to test the install
vs. a live database or not.  This is an example of encapsulation: the
specializied testing/install process for a module is kept with the module,
and not in the monolithic main script.

For two, it seems that the ability to install bp_*.pl scripts was "lost"
in the transition.

For three, there's certainly a lot more that I can't remember right now.

I know Module::Build is shiny and new and preferred for startup
development projects, but that cruddy old Makefile.PL still works, and
does a number of clever things that do have reasons for existence, even if
the collective wit of the mailing list can't remember all of them right
away.

-Aaron

--
Aaron J. Mackey, Ph.D.