[Bioperl-l] Reading GenBank Genomic File Annotation

Brian Osborne osborne1 at optonline.net
Fri May 19 19:39:36 UTC 2006

Nick,

This is from the HOWTO:

Another way of describing a feature in Genbank involves multiple start and
end positions. These could be called "split" locations, and a very common
example is the join statement in the CDS feature found in Genbank entries
(e.g. join(45..122,233..267)). This calls for a specialized object,
Bio::Location::SplitLocationI, which is a container for Location objects:

      for my $feature ($seqobj->top_SeqFeatures){
        if ( $feature->location->isa('Bio::Location::SplitLocationI')
                       && $feature->primary_tag eq 'CDS' )  {
            for my $location ( $feature->location->sub_Location ) {
                print $location->start . ".." . $location->end . "\n";
          }
        }
      }

Brian O.