[Bioperl-l] Modware: a BioPerl based API for Chado

Eric Just e-just at northwestern.edu
Wed May 17 15:03:41 UTC 2006

Hi Everyone,

We are announcing a new Sourceforge Project called Modware that may be of
interest to you.   It is an object-oriented API written in Perl that
creates BioPerl object representations of biological features stored in a
Chado database. It basically creates a Bio::Seq object for chromosomes in
Chado and creates Bio::SeqFeature::Gene objects for protein coding
transcripts stored in Chado.  Things like contigs are represented as
Bio::SeqFeature::Generic objects.  We also provide many methods for
manipulating these objects once they are in memory.

For download please visit our Sourceforge project page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gmod-ware

For API documentation and some short examples of selected use cases visit
our project home page:
http://gmod-ware.sourceforge.net/

This software is adapted from the production middleware code that dictyBase
uses.  Modware 0.1 requires the latest stable GMOD release: 0.003 be
installed.  We are currently calling it a release candidate and if we get
some feedback will call it an official release if there are no major
install bugs (we've installed it only on two different machines).  If you
would like a version that works on the latest CVS version of GMOD, let me
know and I'll expedite getting that out the door.

Lastly, please use the direct download version, we have not fully recovered
from the recent Sourceforge CVS issues.

Please try the software out and let us know what you think!

Sincerely,
Eric Just and Sohel Merchant

e-just at northwestern.edu
s-merchant at northwestern.edu