[Bioperl-l] possible bug printing GenBank feature qualfiers

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Fri Mar 31 18:22:30 UTC 2006

Scott,

your fix assumes that $value in reality is not a scalar but a hash ref
and that it has a key "value".

Apparently in your test environment this is all indeed true, but there
is no guarantee that this will still be true tomorrow when you next
update from CVS (or install a new version).

It seems to me that making feature tag values Bio::AnnotationI objects
and the stringification overload is what is interfering here. More
specifically, the broken overload in Bio::Annotation::SimpleValue

	use overload '""' => sub { $_[0]->value || ''};

will lead exactly to the behavior you see (b/c $_[0]->value evaluates
to false if the value is '0').

You say you build and populate the feature dynamically - are you using
Bio::SeqFeature::Annotated for this? Bio::SeqFeature::Generic is slated
to get this behavior reverted, i.e., will return to using scalars for
tag values. (Or so I recall ...)

To fix the problem for you now, I suggest you either fix the overload
statement above to be

	use overload '""' => sub { defined($_[0]->value) ? $_[0]->value : '' };

I suppose this should in fact be committed to the repository - does
anybody see any damage from this change?

Or, if you do want to mess with the GenBank format writer, protect the
conversion to string and use the object access method:

	if (ref($value) && $value->isa("Bio::Annotation::SimpleValue")) {
		# convert SimpleValue object to represented (string) value
		$value = $value->value;
	}

Hth,

	-hilmar