[Bioperl-l] Bio::SearchIO::hmmer hsp behaviour

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 30 15:56:09 UTC 2006

It may have been just simpler to have it be one HSP (domain) per Hit
(model) as that's how the reports are generated.  My reasoning was
that using the one domain per model made sense based on what you are
actually trying to do, which is annotate the sequence based on the
order the domain appears.  Most others may not view it that way,
which is fine.  One can always gather the relevant HSP's, convert to
seqfeatures, then sort them if order is important, I suppose.

I would say, if the overall consensus is to modify it to have
multiple domain hits per model (similar to BLAST) then Sendu should
go ahead and make those changes then announce it on the list so no
one can gripe about it later.  My main concern was not changing
things so dramatically that it'll break for someone, but seeing as
we've had a lengthy discussion about it already they should have
piped up by now!   Well, that and trying to return everything as
hashes as Jason suggested.  From looking at SearchIO::hmmer we need
to make sure that both hmmsearch and hmmpfam work the same way (looks
like they have different sections) and that the reported bug about
missing hits (Bug 2036) is fixed as well.

Chris