[Bioperl-l] Bio::Score of interest?

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Tue Jun 27 14:27:55 UTC 2006

I would have suggested initiating a quantitation type ontology, not
one individual per module.

An ontology would capture all your semantic information (min/max or
range, higher or lower is better, what is a reasonable default [not
sure there would be one], etc) and you would have a hierarchical
structure.

You type a score by associating it with an ontology term:

	BLAST_e-value is-a expectation_value
	expectation_value has-min-value 0
	expectation_value has-max-value positive_infinity
	BLAST_p-value is-a probability_value
	probability_value has-min-value 0
	probability_value has-max-value 1

etc and then something being an expectation_value for instance would
imply several attributes laid down in the ontology (probably through
has-a statements).

It seems to me that essentially what you are trying to do is
capturing knowledge for particular types of scores, which you would
then use in more general purpose programs to sort from more to less
significant, and possibly filter? If so, then hard-coding this into
objects (all over the place or in a single place) is typically not
the best practice; rather, the usual best-practice approach is using
(and if necessary, constructing) an ontology. This is also the most
re-usable approach.

	-hilmar