[Bioperl-l] Bio::Map changes

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Mon Jun 26 16:15:32 UTC 2006

Sendu Bala wrote:
> The reimplementation will make Position central to the model, allowing
> for lots of other things to work properly without anything becoming
> inconsistent (as is currently the case).

To do this I actually need to make some slightly more significant API
changes than I had hoped. To make Position central, all maps, mappables
and markers need to be able to add and remove Positions (and similar
things). As I see it, we can say that such methods are fundamental to
the coordination required between Bio::Map modules. I feel that I'm
therefore justified in implementing these kinds of methods in the
interfaces (which would allow all the downstream modules that implement
those interfaces to work in the new system without much/any alteration).

Am I justified? Should I try harder to do it without implementations in
the interfaces?