[Bioperl-l] How to handle bugs in bioperl 1.4 on CPAN?

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Mon Jun 26 14:13:00 UTC 2006

fair enough - we can certainly merge fixes onto the branch -  I am
not sure why that is such a big deal.

once the changes are made to the branch, If someone then wants to
update to the latest code on  1.4 branch,  they would  to volunteer
to do the last step of:
cvs export -r branch-1-4 -d bioperl-1-4-1 bioperl-live

then validate it, then make a tar ball, we can submit a 1.4.x to
CPAN, but honestly a lot of other fixes have accumulated since the
1.4 branch and I don't think we want to keep merging back to it, we'd
rather move forward. the not-so-compatible changes that got checked
in after the 1.4 branch (having to do with Annotateable) has been
part of the problem as this has not been fully fixed to make things
backwards compatable.

Nathan asked earlier on the list about how to get a list of modules
added since 1.4 and I can only say how to generate a diff to the
current version of the code which might be more than what he is
asking for. read the docs on cvs diff where you specify the two tags
you want to diff between.

We certainly have a problem of meeting the needs of several different
user groups - developers who need latest code, and users who want
stable releases.  We either get funding to support stable releases
more deliberately, things that don't seem to be on the main radar
screen of primary developers or people who are tied to working with
older stable releases.  Since most of us who are coding and making
changes are just working from a CVS checkout we don't have a lot of
pressure to make a release -- and we don't want to dump newly buggy
(or broken interfaces) into CPAN on purpose.  It also seems like many
reported bugs have already been fixed on the latest branch but people
are less interested in back-fixing on the old branch.

Our hope is that 1.6 would be a good replacement for 1.4 - presumably
API consistent for the most part, but we are suffering from lack of
time of people willing to do the work to make this happen.

I have mentioned in the past that I cannot be the release master for
the project and it is time for someone else to step up and make this
happen.  Chris Fields has done a phenomenal job answering questions,
fixing bugs, and helping run the project as some of us have started
to have too busy of a schedule to keep daily tabs on Bioperl.  But he
too will probably have to cycle off as his career responsibilities
(and job search) takes more time.   I don't have a good answer for
anyone on how to make this happen more smoothly, I am hopeful that
the gmod mtg will spur some more commits and a roadplan for releasing
the next dev release and seeing what can happen with 1.6.  If we
funded a Bioperl coordinator I am sure that would help things more
and manage the different sets of priorities of the user groups.

I think a dedicated hackathon to bioperl work could get 1.6 out after
one week of solid work with some bug squashing followup.

Barring that we'll have to see what everyone else wants to see done
to get the next release out.  The person leading the release doesn't
have to really program things they just need to organize people
around a time-frame, a set of features that need to be tested and
fixed, and commitments from people of what they will do.

Much of the release process is documented on the bioperl wiki site,
if this is not clear enough please make a note on the page/talk page
and we can start .  My hope is that the wiki can be a good repository
of the thought process behind the project.  right now too much of it
is floating in the minds of former and current project coordinators.

...just some of my thoughts as I get ready to be off-line starting
next week for 4 weeks...

-jason