[Bioperl-l] How to handle bugs in bioperl 1.4 on CPAN?

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sun Jun 25 19:42:20 UTC 2006

We did not and will not deposit 1.5.1 into CPAN due to the API issues
in some (rather central) interfaces. These issues are changes over
the 1.4 API and some of those changes are going to go away. Once we
deposit it into CPAN we would sanction the changed API as the new
'official' API and would open a huge can of backward liability worms.
If you just continue to use the 1.4 API on the 1.5.1 release you
don't need to be concerned about an API method you're using going away.

As I said, the people from the core group of developers who have
traditionally shepherded releases all think that doing a 1.4.1
release wouldn't be the best investment of their time. You are most
welcome to disagree and volunteer your time to coordinate the 1.4.1
release, and a lot of people will appreciate your efforts - including
the bioperl developers and 'core'. It shouldn't be much work
theoretically.

	-hilmar