[Bioperl-l] http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Bptutorial.pl

Phillip SanMiguel pmiguel at purdue.edu
Sat Jun 24 14:17:46 UTC 2006

Brian Osborne wrote:
> Jay,
>
> Excellent! Now we need to answer a few more questions for ourselves:
>
> - Do we remove the file bptutorial.pl from the package now? I'd say yes, we
> don't want to have to maintain two bptutorials.

I would be very disappointed to lose one part of bptutorial.pl--this was
described in Tisdall's _Mastering Perl for Bioinformatics_. It is the
only purpose I've ever used bptutorial.pl for--to find all the methods
available to any given object. Eg:

bptutorial.pl 100 Bio::PrimarySeq

 ***Methods for Object Bio::PrimarySeq ********

 Methods taken from package Bio::IdentifiableI
 lsid_string   namespace_string

 Methods taken from package Bio::PrimarySeq
 accession   accession_number   alphabet   authority   can_call_new   desc
 description   direct_seq_set   display_id   display_name   id   is_circular
 length   namespace   new   object_id   primary_id   seq
 subseq   validate_seq   version

 Methods taken from package Bio::PrimarySeqI
 moltype   revcom   translate   trunc

 Methods taken from package Bio::Root::Root
 DESTROY   confess   debug   throw   verbose

 Methods taken from package Bio::Root::RootI
 carp   deprecated   stack_trace   stack_trace_dump
throw_not_implemented   warn
 warn_not_implemented

Phillip SanMiguel