[Bioperl-l] Truncate sequence with features

Roy Chaudhuri roy at colibase.bham.ac.uk
Thu Jun 8 16:31:10 UTC 2006

Hi all.

I've been playing around with a subroutine to truncate a sequence and
adjust the coordinates of any features that overlap the specified
region- something that according to the comments in
Bio::Location::Simple has been abortively worked on in the past.

I've submitted the subroutine as an enhancement in Bugzilla. It's a bit
hacky but works for what I needed it for. However I'm a bit unsure on
the best way to deal with split locations where one of the sublocations
is entirely outside the truncated region. My current method results in
locations like:
join(1..500, >1000..>1000)

which is quite ugly and possibly invalid, but kind of makes sense. Does
anyone know what would be the correct behaviour for this situation?

Roy.
--
Dr. Roy Chaudhuri
Bioinformatics Research Fellow