[Bioperl-l] Strangeness in parsing blast file

Nabil Hafez nabil at broad.mit.edu
Mon Jul 31 00:13:16 UTC 2006

Sendu Bala wrote:

>Nabil Hafez wrote:
>

>>I had modified the variables a bit to try and make them more readable
>>than what is in my code, in my code -o $blastoutput is
>>what it is, like I said, the blast portion works absolutely fine - i.e.
>>the do_blast sub routine is fully functional.
>>

>How do you know?

Because it creates a file containing all of the blastoutput, this works
every time - a file is created with the
blastoutput.

>>   `$MBLAST -d $blastdb -e $e_val -p $percent_id -D 2 -i $bf -o
>>$blastoutput`;
>>

>Does this command definitely produce exactly the same file as the one
>you use to show that parse_blast() does sometimes work (when you avoid
>using do_blast())?

Yes - the exact same file because I produce the file with  do_blast()
and then when it fails to parse it ends but
there is a blastoutput file created in my directory.  If i re-run the
script again just feeding in the name of the file that was
created, it parses it just fine.  So basically the parsing works
whenever I feed it a blastoupt file but it can't seem to parse
the same file that was created and then passed to the  parse_blast()
subroutine

>Btw,
>http://perldoc.perl.org/perlfaq8.html#What's-wrong-with-using-backticks-in-a-void-context%3f
>
>Good to know. Thanks.
>

>>I will try your suggestion to use the Bio::Tools::Run::StandaloneBlast,
>>is megablast supported by this module?
>>

>No, it doesn't. You could cheat and call _runblast() directly (give it
>an executable string and a string of args to megablast), and provide
>-outfile to new().

I still don't think the blast is a problem since I get perfect
blastoutput everytime.