[Bioperl-l] Bio::*Taxonomy* changes

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 28 01:19:51 UTC 2006

>> Don't know if it has been attempted but it would be nice to have a
>> way for
>> building taxonomic trees from Node/Taxon information using a
>> Taxonomy-like
>> container object.  I like the way NCBI does something along these
>> lines with
>> BLAST output now.
>
> Not really sure what you mean. I don't think you'd require a container
> object to do any particular task. Can you clarify?

Let's say you start with a list of sequence IDs from a BLAST report
and wanted to find the taxonomic relationship between the BLAST
hits.  NCBI does something similar to this in their last few BLAST
output revisions from the CGI interface; they have a link which
contains the organisms ranked taxonomically in various ways.  There
is probably a Bioperl-specific way of doing this but I haven't spent
the effort yet working out how.

No big deal, really.  I have PLENTY else to work on.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer
Dept of Biochemistry