[Bioperl-l] Working code

Chris Larsen clarsen at vecna.com
Thu Jul 27 19:59:50 UTC 2006

Hey gang,

You said you wanted to see working code:

> ...And I'd rather see some code or API examples than
> extensive elaborations.
>
>         -hilmar

Hilmar's right; working code does speaks louder than words.

-Chris

So here's some:

http://www.biohealthbase.org/GSearch/

We've just released the v2 of Bioinformatic Resource Center's website
"Biohealthbase". Earlier I pointed out BHB v1 to the list; then we had
implemented GBrowse on top of GUS 3. There was some data processing using
BioPerl packages to generate well-formatted data for the Oracle instance.

But new micro-organisms are added now, so we have Francisella,
Mycobacterium, Microsporidia, Giardia, and Influenza. They are under GUS
3.5.

We also now have some web-capable BLASTing under there (Please no spam!)
And multiple sequence alignments and dendrograms are to come, using MUSCLE
instead of ClustalW. Currently, a Bioperl I/O module accepts the output
from BLAST and writes up some HTML, then our web app on another server
displays the URL content. But we will improve on this model in v3 for MSA
et al. since the requirements are different for multiple vs single
alignments.

Thanks again for the open source!

Chris

Christopher Larsen, Ph.D.