[Bioperl-l] Bio::*Taxonomy* changes

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 18 01:55:28 UTC 2006

I agree with Hilmar's assessment, not b/c I disagree with your
definition of scientific name or the reasoning Sendu proposes.  I
think we are somewhat bound to NCBI's nomenclature for their tax
database.  If we veer away from NCBI's definition for 'scientific
name' it will just confuse users and lead to more trouble than it's
worth, frankly.  If we stick with it then any changes NCBI makes
should be easier to deal with.

Leaving the scientific_name as NCBI designates it, though it probably
disagrees with ~99% of the world's textbooks, may be the most
maintainable solution.

Now, binomial() on the other hand...

Chris