[Bioperl-l] Matrix Average Code / Module ?

Boris Steipe boris.steipe at utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 20 18:40:19 UTC 2006

Assuming you mean the arithmetic average of all elements in a matrix,
you could do the following (using your numbers):

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

my @matrix;

push(@matrix, [(11,22,43,54,50)]); # [(...)] :a list passed as an
anonymous array
push(@matrix, [(27,87,74,32,10)]);
push(@matrix, [(66,58,98,78,20)]);
push(@matrix, [(22,23,44,16,34)]);

my $sum = 0;
my $number = 0;

foreach my $row (@matrix) {
     foreach my $element (@{$row}){
         $sum += $element;
         $number++;
     }
}

print "Average of $number elements = ", $sum/$number,"\n";
exit;

HTH,

B.