[Bioperl-l] Handling miRNA's

barry.m.dancis at gsk.com barry.m.dancis at gsk.com
Wed Feb 8 21:44:55 UTC 2006

Hi Chris--

        The problem I am solving is given a mature miRna name, how do I
use it to search for its pre/pri miRna and vice versa. For example, how to
go from mir-102a* to hsa-mir-102a-1*. Yes, I can write a parser for it,
but I'm hoping that someone else has already done it and has some bells
and whistles to go with it.  Below is a hierarchy chart of a data
structure to hold the naming information. The parsing is not trivial and
given data in that structure there could be all kinds of neat functions
that return various aspects of the names.

Barry

"Chris Fields" <cjfields at uiuc.edu>
Sent by: bioperl-l-bounces at lists.open-bio.org
07-Feb-2006 17:40

barry.m.dancis at gsk.com, "'bioperl-l'" <bioperl-l at bioperl.org>
cc

Subject
Re: [Bioperl-l] Handling miRNA's

Are you talking about sequences or text output from a specific program? If
you are talking about sequences in a particular format, then listen to
Brian.  If you are talking about output, then we need to know which
program
you're using, as a parser may exist or could be built.

There are a few modules in Bio::Tools that handle RNA (like QRNA,
tRNAscan-SE), so check those out first.  I'm currently finishing up a
Bio::Tools module for RNAMotif and have plans for making an ERPIN parser.

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign