[Bioperl-l] problems installing bioperl

Scott Cain cain.cshl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 20:03:48 UTC 2006

Hi Stephan,

About your bioperl mail: did you cancel it, or did it just disappear?
If the latter, I might have accidentally deleted it, sorry :-/

So 'GBrowse is running' means that you can see the sample yeast chr1
database, browse around, etc, right?  I still don't know what is up with
the warning but my guess is that everything is working there.

As for your question about writing a callback, the reason it's not
working is that the attributes method returns a list (typically but not
always with only one element), so what you are really doing in your test
is this "number of elements in the list > 1200", which is almost always
going to be false.  You should change it to this:

  my $feature = shift;
  my ($score) = $feature->attributes('score');
  if ($score > 1200) {
  ...etc...

Finally, if you really want to test that you are using the correct
bioperl, you can put this simple cgi in your cgi-bin directory as
test_biographics.pl, set it as world executable and go to
http://localhost/cgi-bin/test_biographics.pl (and, yes, I use strict and
warnings even when the script is only 10 lines long :-)  :

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use Bio::Graphics::Panel;
use CGI qw/:standard/;

print header(),
      start_html,
      p("Bio::Graphics::Panel api_version is ".Bio::Graphics::Panel->api_version),
      p("It should be 1.654 for BioPerl 1.5.2"),
      end_html;

Scott