[Bioperl-l] Problem with : EUtilities - Proxy

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Wed Dec 20 21:03:03 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
>> First, I got a $http_proxy env. variable automatically
>> defined by the BioPerl installation (I don't define and
>> export it in my .bash_profile).
>> So when I'm logging in,             $http_proxy=http://ip_adress:port/
>
> BioPerl can't permanently set any env. variables out of the box since

True, and it doesn't try to set one temporarily either.

To clarify some of the other points Chris made, the proxy variable
certainly doesn't need username and password to be defined (from LWPs
point of view), since not all proxies authenticate. Of course accesses
won't work if authentication is actually required and these aren't set.

There's no reason that no_proxy should have to be set. It is used to say
what domains shouldn't be proxied. Either this is a real LWP bug, or
somehow EUtilities or one of its bases is doing something wrong. It
should be investigated...

It would be very informative if Anthony could log in when he hasn't done
anything to his environment variables (and so where the original problem
manifests) and give us the results of:

perl -e 'while (($key, $val) = each %ENV) { print "$key => $val\n" }'