[Bioperl-l] [Gmod-gbrowse] xyplot data alignment problem?

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Mon Dec 18 16:15:21 UTC 2006

Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2006, at 9:37 AM, Sendu Bala wrote:
>
>> Lincoln Stein wrote:
>>> This is very embarassing for me, particularly since I spent a lot
>>> of time validating that Bio::Graphics was working properly before
>>> the 1.5.2 release went out. How long before there is a 1.5.3
>>> release? How about a 1.5.2.1release?
>>
>> I'm happy to try a point release for critical bug fixes. Why don't
>> you commit the necessary fixes to branch-1-5-2 and let me know when
>> you're happy, and I'll do 1.5.2.1.
>
> Feel free to do that, but why not make a 1.5.3 off the main trunk?
> 1.5.2.1 may be adding more to the version confusion
> (developer/stable/point-release/etc) than it is worth,

My feeling is that 1.5.3 should be reserved for some significant changes
and new features, and not just a few bug fixes. I'd say this causes less
confusion amongst users - they can associate '1.5.2' with a certain API
and feature-set, and the specific name of the file they download and
install (bioperl-1.5.2_100.tar.gz vs bioperl-1.5.2_101.tar.gz) won't
matter at all to them.

I also won't have to make some major announcement about it; it will
simply be the most recent developer version of bioperl available so new
users trying to get 1.5.2 will end up getting 1.5.2.1, whilst existing
1.5.2 users will only feel compelled to get it if they suffer from the
bugs fixed.

> and there is no shame in releasing new developer versions every few
> weeks.

I think doing frequent releases are inadvisable; such a quick release
won't have had much testing so we shouldn't encourage people to install
it: encouragement is implicit when a major new version comes out like
1.5.3. People who want to live on the edge can and should be using a
CVS checkout.