[Bioperl-l] bioperl-run parameter question

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Mon Dec 11 18:21:42 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
> I am writing up a few bioperl-run modules and have a simple question,
> though I don't know if anyone knows the answer.  I was curious as to
> why parameters for most (all?) bioperl-run modules lack the '-'
> preceding them.  This came up re: StandAloneBlast last week
> (something Torsten fixed), but I noticed just about every bioperl-run
> module uses the dashless parameters.

I didn't follow that particular thread, but from my experience there is
a useful distinction between bioperl options using the - as normal for
full consistency with core (eg. -verbose), whilst the options that
belong to the program the run module is a wrapper for do not take
dashes. Again, this seems consistent within the run package.

I'd suggest sticking to the current pattern.

Cheers,
Sendu.