[Bioperl-l] Bioperl 1.5.2 RC5 installonWinXPActivePerl 5.8.8.819

Nathan S. Haigh n.haigh at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Dec 1 19:05:38 UTC 2006

Chris Fields wrote:
>> PPM).  I can
>>
>>> see using CPAN as an alternative way of installing Bioperl for a
>>> distribution, or as the primary method via CVS or manually, but not
>>> for distributions.  At least not until the kinks are worked out for
>>> Windows users.
>>>
>> CPAN isn't being suggested as the primary or preferred
>> installation method for Windows. That will still be PPM. I'm
>> mentioning CPAN / manual installation in the Windows INSTALL
>> docs for the benefit of anyone who wants a simple install and
>> test environment when checking out from CVS.
>>

> That's fine by me.  I think the focus is making sure the PPM works, but that
> shouldn't hold up the final 1.5.2 release.  The PPM for previous releases
> was never released concurrently with the distribution (if at all); it
> generally followed by a few weeks to a few months past a final release.

Forgot to say, one really annoying thing about PPM is that it seems to
display all the versions of Bioperl defined in the XML file. An
addition, I think a bug in PPM4 means that if a package is available in
ActiveStates repo PPM4 always want to install it rather than a more
recent version in a different repo (this includes upgrades). This
results in this annoying behaviour:
1) If activestate and bioperl repos are active, searching for bioperl
lists several versions
2) If you are using PPM4 GUI, and have installed a non activestate
version, then it says you can upgrade to the version in activestates
repo (even if it's actually a downgrade).
3) Using ppm-shell, if you choose "install bioperl" or "upgrade bioperl"
it will always install the version in the activestate repo.
4) I'm sure there are also some other annoyances.

In the end, it means the best way to install and upgrade bioperl, is to
search for bioperl packages and install the latest version by eye rather
than relying in the "upgrade feature" (at least for the time being). You
may also need to remove an old version of bioperl before installing a
more recent version. NOTE: using "upgrade" runs the risk of installing
bioperl 1.2.3 from activestate and not the latest version in any other repo!

I'll update the wiki when I have time.
Nath