[Bioperl-l] PAML + Codeml problem..

Brian Osborne osborne1 at optonline.net
Mon Aug 14 21:48:31 UTC 2006

Xianjun,

I spoke too soon. I'd assumed that NCBI had a table to handle
selenocysteine, but it does not:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Utils/wprintgc.cgi?mode=c

These tables are the basis for the Bio::Tools::CodonTable module, and the
CodonTable module looks to be up-to-date with respect to NCBI's page. You
can solve your problem by making a custom table using the add_table()
method, see t/CodonTable.t for a nice example. Your custom table will look
something like the Euplotid Nuclear Code table, which translates TGA to C.
You should be able to translate TGA to U since the amino acid codes that
CodonTable inherits from Bio::SeqUtils contain "U" and "Sec".

This is an issue that's independent of the issue raised by Aaron, I'm
assuming you know whether or not your sequences should be translated this
way.

Brian O.