[Bioperl-l] SearchIO speed up

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 14 15:26:48 UTC 2006

Hilmar,

I originally mentioned using this branch as a possibility, which no
one seemed to oppose at the time (I also mentioned using Bugzilla,
dropping in patches or modules as code enhancements).  I felt it
would be a way for everyone to try it out on different OS's (one of
Sendu's main concerns) and still have the ability to update back to
the main branch if it doesn't work.

I agree with your assessment of only using this for API changes,
etc.  But it's my opinion Sendu is using it for the right purpose
(he, and we, aren't sure whether these will work at all or to what
degree they will work).  So far everything looks very promising,
however we don't know how these changes will affect SearchIO and its
API, esp. his and Aaron's proposed 'pull' parser using file pointers
(which I quite like the idea of; something to think about for SeqIO
if it pans out).  At least his code is available to be tested now!

If you think we should just have various experimental branches for
each 'experiment' that could have API issues or not work, that would
work for me as well.

I originally thought it would be a good idea to keep code in the
experimental branch in line with bioperl-live because it would allow
it's continued use as a testing ground, up to 1.6 and beyond if
needed.  Otherwise I could see an experimental branch stagnating over
time without bug fixes, code updates, etc.  Then half-baked
'experiments' that didn't work would be tossed, ones that did would
be merged back or committed to MAIN.  Of course, the long-term danger
with a single experimental branch would be having too many
experiments running on the same branch, which could make merging back
a possible issue

Chris