[Bioperl-l] SearchIO speed up

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Mon Aug 14 14:36:26 UTC 2006

On 8/14/06 10:00 AM, "aaron.j.mackey at gsk.com" <aaron.j.mackey at gsk.com>
wrote:

> I'm failing to understand, sorry.
>
> The UNIX utility "more" (or "less" if you prefer) is a pull parser; it
> reads the stream as much as it needs to satisfy the current iteration (the
> next iteration occurring when the user asks for an additional screen or
> line).  It does not copy data from a pipe into temp storage.
>
> That said, you can't use "more" to page backwards in piped content (unless
> your "more" is keeping a buffer, which some do).
>
> So, I agree that you will need some form of storage for the *current*
> information to be parsed (and must process all of the stream necessary to
> obtain all such information), but not for any of the information yet to be
> accessed.

I hesitate to try to "clarify", but this is as much for my own good as for
that of others.  I think the distinction here is between "random access",
which is probably not necessary for Blast parsing, and "pull parsing", which
only needs sequential, chunk-based parsing.  Is this the source of some
confusion?