[Bioperl-l] XML parser preference?

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 9 21:47:09 UTC 2006

All,

I am finishing up the EUtilities modules in bioperl-live.  I'm using
XML::Simple to grab the IDs and other information from XML returned from
NCBI via esearch/elink/epost queries, but I noticed that no other Bioperl
modules use this particular module.

It comes with ActiveState Perl by default (the reason I use it) but I found,
after the fact, other perl distributions do not include this (Mac OS X was
one).  I don't necessarily want to lump another XML parser requirement for
bioperl users on top of the four or so already present, so I'm considering
changing.

I have a preference for SAX (hehe) but XML::Twig might also be an option.
Any thoughts?

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher - Switzer Lab
Dept. of Biochemistry