[Bioperl-l] Database Retrieval

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Tue Aug 8 20:22:22 UTC 2006

On 8/8/06 2:41 PM, "Sendu Bala" <bix at sendu.me.uk> wrote:

> Sean Davis wrote:
>>
>> On 8/8/06 12:53 PM, "Chris Fields" <cjfields at uiuc.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Should Sean get an CVS account or should we just pass everything via
>>> a proxy, Sendu maybe?  Might be easier to give him CVS access so
>>> Sendu can focus on Taxonomy, I can focus on the interfaces and
>>> getting through my benchwork (?!?), and Hilmar can focus on $job.
>>
>> Whatever works for me, although I should probably run stuff by folks first,
>> as I'm not used to the bioperl conventions--errors, etc....
>
> I've placed this 'project' as a point for the 1.5.5 bioperl release
> currently planned for 'fall 2006'. But so you both have a better idea of
> time-lines, here's a very aggressive one for you:
>
> I'm going to want to start using, or start writing, a front-end
> module(s) on September 4th.
>
> So ideally I'd like to see the backend and interface work done before
> then. As we get closer to the end of the month, if it doesn't seem like
> that's going to happen, let me know and I can dive in and start helping
> out directly on those areas.

Sendu,

I, like Chris said (in another email), have to keep things pretty vague as
far as time-frame.  This is a totally side-project for me, so will take a
back-seat most of the time.  Also, I think there are some very large issues
that we have been ignoring with regard to the underlying table structure,
but these will come out as time moves along.  We can shoot for a deadline,
but I think that "planning" on completion by a certain time is probably a
bit premature before we are a bit further along in the process.

Sean