[Bioperl-l] Database Retrieval

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Tue Aug 8 15:21:11 UTC 2006

On Aug 8, 2006, at 10:16 AM, Chris Fields wrote:

> Using that, we could have get_Location(s)*, get_Ref(s)*, get_Taxon/
> Taxa*, etc.  Most of these would only use a unique ID or query,
> though.
>
> Would we want to lump all these together in one non-specific
> interface class or split them up into several specific interfaces?
> Many of the latter will likely have only a few methods, but at
> least they would be consistent, so I think the latter.

Right. It is easy for an implementation class to implement multiple
interfaces, but it is messy to split up interfaces later that were
lumped together earlier without a clear need to do so.

"do one task only but do it well" - that's the motto for the
interface, where doing it well also means to keep it as simple as
possible.

thanks for taking a stab.

	-hilmar