[Bioperl-l] TFBS databases, Bio::Matrix::PSM suitable?

Stefan Kirov skirov at utk.edu
Tue Aug 22 11:39:53 UTC 2006

Sendu Bala wrote:

>I'm looking to extract data from some Transcription Factor Binding Site
>(TFBS) databases. For example, matrix, sequence and known position
>information out of Transfac flatfiles.
>
>Currently there is Bio::Matrix::PSM::IO::transfac, but it only gives you
>the PSM matrices, not the 'instance' sequences. Bio::Matrix::PSM also
>has this to say:

Sendu,
Transfac is not an open database so, you cannot get the instance data
anyway. There was a discussion on that recently. Since Bioperl is
completely open project, I am not sure it makes sense to put efforts
into supporting something that is not open- even if you have access to
the data files (which I believe Transfac does not allow in general) and
can develop additional methods/modules, how the rest of us can use it or
debug/support it?
Stefan