[Bioperl-l] RSS feed weirdness from the wiki

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 24 19:06:18 UTC 2006

That's the problem.  When I removed the extra line from the saved XML and
threw it into my newsreader (Sage in Firefox) everything looks fine.  Trying
to access the feed directly in Sage gets the same XML error message as
before.  Directly accessing the RSS feed from Firefox (not using Sage) also
gives the same error.  The fact that it works in IE doesn't surprise me too
much; probably looser in how strict XML is validated.

When I Googled this before, it comes up as a common error associated with
WordPress and plugins.

http://www.stepanoff.org/wordpress/2006/01/03/be-careful-with-new-plugins/

I'm guessing that some XML validators (including those with Firefox) are so
strict that docs containing extra empty space before the XML declaration are
declared invalid.  Maybe the plugin generating the output is to blame?

Chris