[Bioperl-l] Re: entrezgene binary ASN

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sat Oct 1 15:48:26 EDT 2005

I've tried to listen in on the exchange but I'm not sure I understand
what the issue is.

I.e., does the parser need to seek in the stream? If yes, then piping
won't do any good if it works at all. If no, then the parser should be
perfectly fine with the filename being output from a pipe, and possibly
accept a file handle in substitution too. In that case, the caller can
pipe the actual input through any commands he/she wishes by simply
passing the piped command(s) (e.g. as in "gzip -d -c
file.asn.gz|gene2xml|").

The parser doing this auto-magically isn't necessary and doesn't save a
caller that much. Instead, it exposes the parser to liabilities like
path of gzip, path of gene2xml and similar stuff which may not be
identical on all platforms.

What am I missing?

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org