[Bioperl-l] Bio::SearchIO::amps and Bio::SearchIO::mrbayes_nexus

Nathan Haigh n.haigh at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri May 13 04:29:41 EDT 2005

I was under the impression that NEXUS format blocks should end with "end;"
(Maddison et al. 1997) and it was later that some software started using
"endblock" instead. Therefore, "end;" should be used for output, but for
backwards compatibility "endblock;" should also be handled correctly for
input - Although I haven't reread Maddison et al. 1997 to confirm this - no
searchable pdf either :o(

You may also find this page useful:
http://camel5.umbi.umd.edu/camel/projects/nexus/

They have a tool "NEXPL" which contains a pretty comprehensive nexus parser
which is able to handle quite a few different nexus blocks.

Also, after I contacted Fredrik Ronquist he said that after a period of
relatively slow progress they are accelerating the development of MrBayes
this year with the addition of three new people to the development team.
I've been told that Paul van der Mark (his new postdoc) is the person most
suitable to contact with suggestions etc (let me know if you want his e-mail
address). Hopefully MrBayes will be a little more NEXUS compliant than it
currently is.

Nathan