[Bioperl-l] Strange problem with Bio::Seq::LargePrimarySeq]

Stefan Kirov skirov at utk.edu
Tue Mar 15 08:51:02 EST 2005

Your first problem is that you cannot access SeqFeature methods
(Annotation as well) as LargePrimarySeq inherits (unlike LargeSeq) only
from PrimarySeq. Therefore you don't have these methods available. Two
approaches: create an empty Seq object to hold the annotation, or read
the file into a new LargeSeq object:
my $id=<>;
while (<>) {
chomp;
$largeseq->add_sequence_as_string;
}
I don't know what the performance will be with the second object when
you add features. First one is far safer I think.
Next problem performance screening the sequence. Unless you have
something BIG it is likely you will have to split the sequence in at
least several chunks (then you can see if this disrupted a signal,
site..etc.) or get few gigs more for your RAM (best would be some shared
memory and a grid if you want to kill a fly with a tank :-) ).
Hope this helps and good luck.
Stefan