[Bioperl-l] Request for advice and pointers on a project to h elp biologists d o simple formatting and analysis

Paulo Almeida palmeida at igc.gulbenkian.pt
Thu Mar 10 12:45:47 EST 2005

> I've already met (smart, talented) people who are counting lines in Excel

You mean there are other ways of doing that?! Good God! All these years
that I've been counting 1000s of lines by hand...

>> if not they hire someone who knows.
>
> We have a lot of clients, and if we just give them the solution, then
> we'll need to do it again the next time they have a marginally different
> problem.

Profit!

Seriously though, I work in a lab where everyone else is an
experimentalist biologist and I think there may be demand for a project
like yours. The only doubt I have is whether those people who count by
hand, or give up, will make the effort to find the Scriptome project. I
suppose that is a marketing issue, and the debate on demand is mostly
based on different personal experiences. If you think it's worth it (if
only to help the people you work with), and go ahead with it, I can help
you with some simple scripts I have (to split files, get a certain column
in a csv file, etc).

Paulo