[Bioperl-l] Request for advice and pointers on a project to h elp biologists d o simple formatting and analysis

Amir Karger akarger at CGR.Harvard.edu
Tue Mar 8 14:05:26 EST 2005

> From: Stefan Kirov [mailto:skirov at utk.edu]
>
> I like a lot this idea.
> First my answer to your first 2 questions: no, no.
> But I bet may biologists would scream in pain just hearing the word
> console (as you mentioned).

You make an excellent point. There are a number of avenues we've thought of
for making this tool more accessible to non-UNIX folks.  However, each one
of them requires some extra work in planning issues like security, command
paths, accessing input files, shell variables, etc. Because we've already
got a bunch of users here who need to use UNIX to use our computing cluster,
I figured I could have a prototype that only works from the UNIX command
line. If it works well on those folks, we can think about extending things
later (with the caveat that I want to be careful to keep the interface VERY
lightweight, because I don't trust myself to build a portable, "intuitive"
GUI.)

> So I offer 0 step (bait to learn
> a little UNIX).
> Imagine a simple web form that is hooked to the perl
> interpreter (might
> be tricky from a security point, still it could be restricted
> in several
> ways) and does (amazingly) what the biologist types in. This
> would have
> to include file uploads/downloads as well. Of course the capabilities
> will be quite restricted, but the appetite comes with eating
> as some say
> and suddenly the console might be not a bad idea (thus Mac
> shares would
> go up :-) ).

-Amir