[Bioperl-l] Re: More unresolved issues with Bio::AnnotatableI

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Thu Jun 23 01:41:20 EDT 2005

Graph::Directed is part of the Graph.pm package. In fact, the graph
used by SimpleGOEngine is an instance of Graph::Directed.

If accessing $seq->annotation would now need Graph::Directed installed
and functional, then the reason almost certainly is due to the changes
Aaron pinpoints. More precisely, any ontology term needs to be in an
ontology, and the ontology needs a backing ontology engine to support
the graph-based algorithms like traversal etc.

SimpleGOEngine is the default engine being used if you don't specify
another one, and it itself is merely a wrapper around an instance
Graph.pm (the superclass of Graph::Directed).

This breaks down on a seemingly simple use case because the modules
using Graph.pm have been programmed (by ChrisZ and myself) with the
concept that if you use them you'll almost always also want the engine
API functional. Now with the transition to a much more pervasive use of
ontology terms, you easily have a situation in which all you'll ever
want from a term's ontology is its name.

So I suggest that I (or any taker is welcome) make this more robust by
the methods depending on it are actually used.

As for adapting the go-perl API to Bioperl, yes that's what I've done
but have yet to test. As soon as I'm convinced that it works I'll
commit it though. Note that this isn't really the panacea to all
ontology-related problems in Bioperl though. The issue Aaron's hit is
due to assumptions being made too quick about what a user has installed
and what she's going to call, hence can be fixed accordingly. Also,
Graph.pm is not a necessarily dispensible dependency; it implements
many algorithms on graphs (connected subgraphs, shortest path, etc)
that go-perl doesn't but which can be very useful. I decided to adapt
go-perl to Bioperl primarily to finally delegate responsibility for
dealing with the oddities of the dag-edit and obo-family of file
formats to those who claim they solved all that :)

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org