[Bioperl-l] Entrez Gene parser questions and next release??

Stefan Kirov skirov at utk.edu
Thu Jun 9 21:30:54 EDT 2005

Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Guys, don't over-inflate this. I said no offense intended, Stefan said
> none taken, so why don't we discontinue this thread and you guys just
> fix it at some point. OK?

Yup :-) . But I really want to know when the next release is going to
happen. Some of my code is a mess right now, I have few additional
parsers done I have not tested well yet... So if it is going to happen
soon I am in trouble. I know there was some discussion about this in the
recent past, but please help a lazy guy out here and let me know...
Stefan

>     -hilmar
>
> On Jun 9, 2005, at 9:55 PM, Mingyi Liu wrote:
>
>> Brian Osborne wrote:
>>
>>> Bioperl,

>>> Yes, I should support Hilmar here. When we are working through the
>>> full test
>>> suite before a formal release our goal has always been to eliminate all
>>> errors *and* warnings, not just  errors.
>>>
>>> Brian O.
>>>

>> Hi, Brian & Hilmar,
>>
>> I think both of you misunderstood (or missed part of) the previous
>> email exchanges between Stefan and me and jumped to conclusion too
>> soon.  In my previous email, it began with "Stefan's right in
>> suggesting you turn off -w, which would make your script work.",
>> which likely led to your worries.  But that's totally unnecessary -
>> this is just a temporary solution suggested to end user.  It is not a
>> suggestion that we will not fix it or end user should change their
>> programming habit.
>>
>> In fact, if you please read on, in the latter part of the same
>> message, I suggested a fix that would fix the problem end user saw,
>> which Stefan immediately responded that he'd incorporate it.  I'm
>> sure Stefan would get rid of those annoying "use of unitialized
>> value" warnings too.  That's the long term solution we proposed and
>> (to be) implemented to fix the issue raised by end user.  So truly
>> there's no reason to worry or take sides here.  We don't really have
>> a difference in our user support approaches, despite our apparent
>> different attitudes towards the importance of '-w' switch. :)
>>
>> Mingyi

Stefan Kirov, Ph.D.
University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge National Laboratory
5700 bldg, PO BOX 2008 MS6164
Oak Ridge TN 37831-6164
USA
tel +865 576 5120
fax +865-576-5332
e-mail: skirov at utk.edu
sao at ornl.gov

"And the wars go on with brainwashed pride
For the love of God and our human rights
And all these things are swept aside"