[Bioperl-l] Installing Bioperl using PPM

Nathan Haigh nathanhaigh at ukonline.co.uk
Wed Jan 19 04:02:10 EST 2005

Please read this even if you think you know how to install modules via PPM!

This is just a note on what to do to install the latest version of Bioperl (or any other module) via PPM:
Because of inconsistencies (see ActiveStates comments on this at the bottom) with the way PPM determines modules names/versions etc
it is NOT WISE to install modules by going:
    "install bioperl"
OR
    "upgrade bioperl"

You are very likely NOT to install the most recent version of a particular module by doing this! Instead you should do the
following:
    "search bioperl"
This gives a numbered list of the available modules in the repository's searched by your PPM (you can add additional repositories in
addition to the defaults given during installation - and this is advised). Chose the number of the correct module to install from
the list and do:
    "install <number>"
Where <number> is the number of the module you wish to install. This way you will ensure you install the correct module/version YOU
want not the arbitrary module that PPM seems to want to install most of the time!

As soon as the official Bioperl 1.5 is released, I'll make the ppd and tar.gz files so it can be installed via PPM.

Nathan

ActiveStates comment on PPM's inconsistencies for determining module name/versions:
"Sorry for the confusion, ppm3 is kind of inconsistent in spots."