[Bioperl-l] parse long organism name

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Mon Jan 3 13:41:35 EST 2005

To be honest I'm not even sure what binomial is supposed to return
here. The problem originates from the fact that binomial, species, and
genus won't store their values redundantly but rather access the
classification array (kingdom->order->blah->foo etc) at the expected
locations. common_name on the contrary does store it's value itself.

I don't feel I'm suited to take this on. If anybody else does please
don't hesitate to come forward. My gut reaction would be to push more
towards using the taxonomy classes by Jason et al over the Bio::Species
class. I'd hope that model would be able to handle such weirdnesses
better.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org