[Bioperl-l] ASN1 and BioPerl (and XML too)

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Fri Feb 18 02:53:04 EST 2005

On Thursday, February 17, 2005, at 01:47  PM, Pierre Rioux wrote:

> - Some of you mentioned XML. Personally I like XML a whole
>   lot better than ASN.1. NCBI *does* provide a way to transform
>   any ASN.1 record into XML automatically. Their tool "asntool"
>   can be used as a data transformer, and it's quite straightforward.

Yes, but note that this tool does *not* transform NCBI Gene records.

I actually inquired at NCBI about the availability of NCBI Gene in XML
format. To relay their response here, they are working on a converter,
but it is taking them longer than expected. Also, if you are on the
ncbi-gene mailing list you will know that NCBI has decided to keep
updating the LocusLink ftp download until the ASN.1->XML converter for
Gene is available (the website will go down though on March 1st).

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org