[Bioperl-l] help on installation of bioperl in slave nodes.

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Feb 15 20:52:19 EST 2005

Your problem is simple and has nothing to do with bioperl.

Simply put your, slave nodes can't get to the internet. This means that
they can't find CPAN to download the modules.

Some options include:

1. configure your cluster so the nodes can talk to the internet. Many
clusters I work on use some sort of NAT or HTTP proxy for exactly this
purpose. Most clusters also have a mechanism for taking changes that
were made to one node and replicating them out cluster-wide so you only
need to really install bioperl once on one machine.

2. If you can't get the nodes to see the internet you can manually
download all of the needed perl modules and  install them on one or more
slave nodes. In fact if you used the CPAN method on your cluster head
node the packaged code may still be laying around in your .cpan/
folder

-Chirs

Guojun Yang wrote:

> Hi, All,
> I am trying to install bioperl on the slave nodes of a linux cluster. The perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::BioPerl' works fine on the master machine of the cluster. But when I get into the slave nodes and use the same method to install the Bundle, it did not succeed. The error message is about the connection problem. Can anybody give me some hints on this issue?
> Thank you,
> Guojun Yang

Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting
Office: 617-665-6088, Mobile: 617-877-5498, Fax: 425-699-0193
PGP KeyID: 83D4310E iChat/AIM: bioteamdag  Web: http://bioteam.net