[Bioperl-l] blast doesn't work

Anders Stegmann anst at kvl.dk
Wed Dec 21 04:10:48 EST 2005

Hi!

I have used bioperl blast many times before on redhat linux Os and windows PC with luck.
I am now using SUSE 10.0 on my job and perl bptutorial.pl 22 returns:

Beginning run_remoteblast example...
submitted Blast job
retrieving results...
-------------------- WARNING ---------------------
MSG: Possible error (1) while parsing BLAST report!

futhermore perl bptutorial.pl 23 returns:

Beginning run_standaloneblast example...
blastall program not found. Skipping StandAloneBlast example

I have tried to install it all again (Bundle + Bioperl) manually and set the enviroment variable like:

export BLASTDIR=/usr/local/blast

in my bash shell, but it didn't change much. This blast dir is a separate blast program I have downloaded from NCBI that works outside bioperl.

I have asked my administrator but no luck.

I figure it has something to do with setting the enviroment variable, but I just don't know where else to set it!

Anders.