[Bioperl-l] Puzzled...

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki.lehvaslaiho at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 16:28:58 EST 2005

Brian,

Bio::WebDBSeqI is, like you said for retrieving sequences. This is the oldest
code of the lot. A good rewrite has been asked for years.

Bio::Root::HTTPGet does not depend on LWP::UserAgent but duplicates core
functionality, see the docs..

Bio::WebAgent adds bioperl idioms into LWP::UserAgent and is meant to be used
as a basis of more specific implementations.

Bio::Tools::Analysis::SimpleAnalysisBase is a base class for doing Web based
sequence analysis. It is based on Bio::WebAgent and implements
Bio::SimpleAnalysisI.

If you need to create something new, base it either on Bio::Root::HTTPGet or
Bio::WebAgent or even better: to use primarily Bio::WebAgent but fall back to
Bio::Root::HTTPGet if LWP::Useragent is not present.

I do not want to complicate matters, but do have a look at

  http://www.ebi.ac.uk/cgi-bin/sva/sva.pl?&help=1

It would be great if the bioperl implementation of nucleotide sequence version
retrieval could be as generic and complete as possible  ;-) .

	-Heikki