[Bioperl-l] UniGene

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Sun Apr 17 19:05:57 EDT 2005

Badr,

The simplest way is to go to the ftp site for unigene:

ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/repository/UniGene

Get the file for the organism you are interested that ends in .gb_cid_lid.
Just choose the file for the organism of interest.  For example, the first
few lines of Cre.gb_cid_lid look like:

AY171232 3219 -
AY171231 3003 -
AY171230 4370 -
AY171229 2671 -
AY184800 2793 -
AY184799 6486 -
AY184798 206 -
AY184797 3607 -
AY184796 2281 -
AY177787 2380 -
AY212923 4329 -
AB091079 3370 -

The first column contains genbank accessions.  The second contains unigene
cluster ids.  So, for the first genbank AY171232, the unigene accession is
Cre.3219 (You have to prepend the 2- or 3- letter organism code).  You can
read these into a hash that is keyed on the genbank accession with a value
that is the reference to an array of unigene cluster IDs for each genbank (a
genbank can be in multiple unigene clusters).

Hope that helps.
Sean