[Bioperl-l] Very basic Perl/BioPerl Help

Stefan Kirov skirov at utk.edu
Thu Apr 14 11:29:42 EDT 2005

Colin,
case B is pretty straightforward by using unix diff.
Stefan

Colin Erdman wrote:

>Hello all,
>

>I certainly pounded away at this one last night, I thought this part would
>be easy, but after spending so much time getting my Entrez gene data parsed
>etc my brain was a bit rubbery.
>

>What I am trying to do is take either A) Two fasta files with refseq/genbank
>data OR B) Two text files with 1 accession# per line and compare them,
>outputting only those fasta seqs or accession #'s that are not present in
>both.
>
>            So is it easier to just use perl somehow to compare the two raw
>acc# text files?
>
>            Or should I keep them as FASTA seqs and compare using Bio::Seq
>objs somehow?
>

>The idea is to update a list of Chromosome 21 genes last revised in 2003 by
>comparing those accession numbers in our list with all of those accession
>#'s that I pulled from an entrezgene 21[CHR] AND Homo sapiens[ORGN] NOT
>pseudogene query and then saved the output as an ASN.1 file. I have all the
>accession #'s.
>

>I just will need to match up those accession #'s NOT currently in our list
>with the appropriate Entrez Genes using gene2accession, but I am not sure
>how to do that either. I am assuming using a hash, but they have been steep
>for me in terms of learning curve, but I'd like to learn them now, I will
>just need some intuitive support.
>

>Thanks all!
>
>Colin

Stefan Kirov, Ph.D.
University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge National Laboratory
5700 bldg, PO BOX 2008 MS6164
Oak Ridge TN 37831-6164
USA
tel +865 576 5120
fax +865-576-5332
e-mail: skirov at utk.edu
sao at ornl.gov

"And the wars go on with brainwashed pride
For the love of God and our human rights
And all these things are swept aside"