[Bioperl-l] Bioperl tests

Jason Stajich jason.stajich at duke.edu
Wed Sep 15 17:24:23 EDT 2004

It is all a function of how much time core developers have and how many
other people are helping out by running tests, fixing bugs, and
reporting the problems.

I can only speak for myself, but I have much less time for Bioperl than
I did a year ago.  I don't run the whole test suite very frequently
except for the modules that I am changing before doing CVS commits and
when helping out in a release.  But I am just one developer so I don't
know what other people are doing.

I have generally ignored BioFetch failing because things have worked
off and on wrt network connectivity and the local DB tests are tied
together with the network based ones unfortunately.  I don't think I
paid attention to those failing tests very much because I've lost track
of how it is even supposed to work now.

Your ideas about tinder-box, etc are well received, it is something
that we have talked about off and on for many years but it boils down
the open-source principal -- s/he who does it first can claim the glory
of, well, being the first person who did it. =)  Chris can get you
setup with an account on the appropriate box if you want to do it on
OBF systems.  Would be great for someone to do it - even if it just
mean reporting the results of make test in an email to the guts list.
Seems to work for the biojava crowd.

-jason